The kitchen is closed for the holidays

by Terry B on December 26, 2012

This was supposed to be one of those posts that reflects on the year gone by and perhaps looks optimistically ahead to what the new year may hold. If I had written it before our family holiday dinner (with two servings of dessert and at least two glasses of wine), it might have been just that.

Instead, so far it’s been me sitting staring at the blinking cursor on the screen for minutes on end and thinking, “Now what?” Still, I wouldn’t trade even a brilliantly written post for the lazy, lovely day and evening I’ve spent with my amazing family. I hope your holidays were wonderful. We’ll be back next week with a new recipe.

Anita December 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I think your post is a wonderful testament to family and good food and sloth – the good, sated, satisfied and satisfying kind, not the Biblical bad kind. See you next year!

Susie December 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Love the ornament!

Terry B December 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thanks, Anita—well put!

Susie, I know, right? Our daughter Claire got it at Bronner’s, a year-round Christmas store in Frankenmuth, Michigan. It was made in Poland.

kitchenriffs December 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I’ve never seen a knife ornament before! How cool. And your post is perfect — it totally reflects what we should all be doing at this time of the year. I hope you’ve been having a terrific holiday (it certainly sounds as if you have!).

kitty December 27, 2012 at 12:49 am

ha, I know the feeling. Sometimes it is better not to write anything at all.

Glad you had a lovely lazy day together, Terry!

Lou Pupich December 27, 2012 at 2:26 am

You’re a good man, Terry Boyd.

Terry B December 27, 2012 at 5:03 am

KItchenriffs, we have a number of food-related ornaments, including a plump chef, a cocktail shaker and martini glass and a dill pickle. Claire said they had lots of food ornaments at Bronner’s, but when she saw the knife, she knew she’d found the one.

Thanks, Kitty!

Thanks, Lou. Happy holidays to you and your lovely bride.

Mellen December 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Most writers know that there’s a time when NOT writing is best. This is one of them. Happy holidays to you and the family,

Mellen

Pat December 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Happy Holidays to the Nowaks and the Boyds. The ornament Claire found could not be more perfect. Love it.

Roger December 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Bobbie and I have been to Bronner’s in Frankenmuth, a vast sea of Christmas miscellanea. It is a lovely ornament indeed. Happy 2013!